Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Skill School

For the fifth summer, our church is offering Skill School for elementary kids to spend 4 mornings at church learning new skills (it's Sunnybrook's unusual version of VBS).

That first year we didn't have a Children's Ministry Director, so Kraig asked if I'd go to a brainstorming meeting. He had an idea, but wasn't sure how to put it together or if it would be possible to plan in just a couple of months. Working with kids is NOT my spiritual gift or a passion of mine, so he said "JUST ONE MEETING". I should have known better....

I love Skill School!!! God has blessed me in numerous ways to be a part of an outreach in our community for kids! I'm able to use my gifts of detail and organization to coordinate the registrations of the kids, which has grown from under 200 to 630 kids so far this year! It's overwhelming and exhausting right now. But the amazing thing is that over 60-70% of the kids attending are not from our church. To have just a small part in touching the hearts of these kids is more fulfilling than I could have ever imagined.

One of the highlights of each of my summers is the week in June when I see the kids' faces light up as they not only learn a new skill like dancing, building a rocket, or carpentry, but also as they sing songs of praise and hear God's truth in ways that are fun and real to them!

-Kristin

No comments: