Sunday, June 6, 2010

Basement Remodel - FINAL!!!

OK - this post sure is fun to do. I wanted to see what our basement looked like before the project started and what it looks like today. So, you might enjoy this, but the next several posts are mainly for me to look back and smile...but I'll give you the tour anyway.

Family Room...Kristin and a friend of ours Ray (we borrowed their company's dump truck) convinced me to take out the wall by the steps. I really didn't want to. Truthfully, I saw many extra hours and extra dollars...but they wore me down...
...and I am SO GLAD they did! It probably added three or four days of work...between the demolition; then rebuilding the wall under the steps; moving some electrical that came through the wall; searching the internet for pictures and videos so I could figure out what kind of railing to put in, and picking out the right railing for the application; picking out the oak for the railing; staining, polyurethane and installation of the railing (this was one of the few parts of this job that I hadn't done before). It was kind of a big pain...but it stretched my construction skills a bit, and in the end was kind of fun (did I mention this was one of the best things we did?).
View from the top before the wall was removed.
The completed look from the top. It opened it up a little from the top...but the biggest change is when you are in the family room. Kristin thinks it makes it almost feel like it's not a basement room.

-Kraig

1 comment:

Karen & Geard Zemek said...

It looks very nice! You did a great job on it. I would never think to take out a whole wall like that, especially in the basement. I'd be afraid of not having enough support.