My friend, Melody, recommended this book to me Labor Day weekend. She said she couldn't put it down, so I had to read it! It's considered very controversial, but I would suggest it to everyone.My experience differed from hers in that I actually spent a few weeks reading it. Oftentimes I had to put it down to reflect on what I'd read, almost like a devotional. There were parts that were difficult to get through. Some chapters were so full of enlightening thoughts that I couldn't keep reading without reflecting on each part before going on. In a couple of years I'd like to read it again - knowing how it ends, yet still trying to grasp all that is written.
The Shack really helped me realize how we tend to put God in a box. God is so much more than we can possible imagine or describe with our limited capacity for love, relationships, and life here on earth. We know that God can DO ANYTHING, yet we sometimes don't really believe that He WILL. Miracles happen around us all the time, yet how often do we acknowledge that it's God? How much of our day is focused on earthly things that have no eternal value either for us or for those we know and love, rather than on Jesus and our loving relationship with Him and others' need for Him?
1 comment:
I just read this book last week too. I couldn't put it down but I need to read it again to take the time to reflect, like you were talking about. We are reading it for our small group so I "have" to re-read it over the next couple weeks. (We were only supposed to read the first 3 chapters.)
Post a Comment