Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fall season for the Andersons

I'm amazed at all the events that have happened in our lives the past few weeks. Some are wonderful, some are difficult, but they've all changed and shaped our family and have drawn us closer to Christ.

-Michael injured his foot playing soccer in the basement with Tim while Kraig and I were at church for the children's musical last weekend. He had an x-ray, and fortunately it was just bruised. Thankfully Michael's able to use it a little more each day.

-Most of Tim's freshman soccer team is playing together for an indoor league with weekly games and practices. He's already had 2 games and after the first one Tim said, "that was the most fun I've ever had playing a game!" And we enjoy watching because the field is much smaller and they move so quickly. Very high energy!

-Cleveland Cavs basketball player LeBron James was a surprise attender at our playoff high school football game last weekend (we lost "big time", but I heard it's only the second time NR made it to playoffs in school history). That was also Tim's final marching band performance this year. On Halloween the band got a superior rating at the State contest in Columbus and a few days later performed an indoor marching concert at school. They are exciting to watch and listen to. Some of their marching music Kraig said he played in college - so it's difficult stuff. This week Tim "auditioned" for concert band (since percussionists don't get chair assignments, it's more to determine ability).

-Michael missed his first weekly footskills (soccer skills) last night due to his foot injury, but will hopefully make the next 5 weeks. He wants to get on an indoor soccer league team beginning in Jan.

-One of the most difficult events in our lives the past couple of weeks was to find out that our church's youth pastor, Brent, was having an affair for a couple of months with a woman from church. Now without him at church, Kraig, the staff and numerous volunteers are filling in the gaps but it's taking quite a bit of Kraig's time and energy. The service this past Sunday (the first one since it was announced last week to the congregation at a special meeting and then followed up with a letter to everyone) was very Spirit-led with Pastor Dan preaching just what I and many others needed to hear. The congregation has responded in an amazing way, opening up their hearts to Brent and Jen in support and using this as a wake-up call to focus on strengthening everyone's marriages. Please pray for all the youth in our church as many are still hurt, angry or confused. Most have never had another youth pastor and feel a strong loss right now. But we know that God will use this for His Glory. Kraig and I feel blessed to be part of a congregation that can look toward Jesus and to the future when struggling with their own emotions over what's happened.

-I got a job! After 2 interviews a couple of weeks ago, I was offered a position at Parma Heights Christian Academy and started the next morning! I'm an admin. asst., which is new for me after years of accounting, but I love it! I do have some accounting tasks, in addition to numerous responsibilities so the days go by very quickly. It's a K-6 Christian school and a ministry of our church, so Kraig and I are working in the same building once again. This time our offices are across the building from each other, but we do see one another, can sometimes carpool or share lunch. My hours are 7:30-4:00 M-F with school breaks off (including all of July), so it's a 44 week contract. I teased Kraig that I started a new job with 8 weeks vacation! Last week was training, so this is the first week on my own. Laura (school secretary), Dave (admin/ principal/ minister of schools) teachers, staff, kids and volunteers have all been wonderful. It's definitely a lot of names to learn!

-Since I last blogged about what's up in our lives, Michael's had a great jazz band concert and band concert. It's also fun to hear him and Kraig do duets at home. Kraig went to Michigan for a 1-day denominational conference and to "Deeper: The Worship Sessions" worship conference (in a suburb near us) with several from his worship team. It was put on by Paul Baloche, Brian Doerksen and Kathryn Scott and they said it was amazing! Tim found out he didn't make the freshman basketball team, but we'll try to find a rec team or camp so he can keep his skills up (he hadn't really played for months before tryouts since he was so active with soccer and marching band and then got sick - it may or may not have made a difference...). Tim knows some guys that play once a week at a church in town, too (he played with them last winter) and he wants to try out for basketball again next year. He's also considering trying out for the school musical next month and then in the Spring for show choir and an acapella choir to participate in next year (his choir teacher today told him he should try out). So he has a LOT of opportunities to be very involved and active!! The boys finished their first quarter a couple of weeks ago. Tim had great conferences and Michael's are next week. We are very pleased with how well the boys have done, especially with the transition to a new school! On Sunday nights Kraig and I are in a small group going through Focus on the Family's Truth Project. We recommend it to everyone!

Well, after this LONG post, hopefully you are caught up a little on our lives (if you had the time to read it!). -Kristin

1 comment:

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Congrats on your new job! Is that the job Cathy Niswonger had? I saw a sign outside the school that she'll be missed.